Sunday, July 12, 2015

An epidemic?

"The basic argument is that community is falling part because internet use has led people to lose contact with authentic in-person relationships as they become ensnared online in weak simulacra of reality" (Raine & Wellman, p. 118).

The chapter doesn't focus on this hysteria-ridden sentence (rather does focus on rebuking it, thanks to those fabulous Pew Researchers), but it was on of the first that stuck out at me, and before I could finish reading contemplated how not true it was.  As someone who moved completely across the country fourteen years ago, and then again to a southern-tip just 3.5 ago, the disregard for the authentic conversations and personal relationships that can take place online, especially, but not always, after being built in person threw out red flags!  In college my peers and I often wondered if we would have been able to make such drastic moves without technology, and that was talking about flip-phones and limited number of texts per month!

Now, my closest friends live on polar opposites sides of me, and the only form of communication that truly impacts us comes from web 2.0 technology.  For some that looks more personal - we have skype conversations - for others our Facebook messages or Gchats suffice.  I have former students, thousands of miles away, that solely communicate with me through technology - some of those conversations may not be highly-in-depth, others look like a counseling-through-text-message conversation.  And on the flip-side, a great friend who has disconnected from web 2.0 technologies... I have to not only make the effort to connect with, but also am missing interesting points where a group of us are connecting collectively.

Making a few drastic moves, and connecting with folks at different points and different opportunities in my life, have made things like my Facebook feed fall into a variety of categories at any given moment (although I'm still thinking about if I really have almost 700 ties, and what those look like).  Raine & Wellman claim "The larger the network, the more health benefits," (p. 132), and in many ways I can see that being true.  At any moment, I can feel connected within my network (taking away the loose social ties, even), to people from around the country, sometimes internationally, who may hold a connection with me, but who I solely also only communicate with via web 2.0 technologies.

So, do you agree... the more folks on networks the merrier?  Do you fall into the average of connections for an individual online?  How do you disconnect in order to be better while connected?

Total side note, the book cites how Pope Benedict XVI would occasionally tweet... he had nothing on Pope Francis, who is not only challenging and speaking in a new voice, but is totally also publicizing in means of communication he thinks people will see and connect too!


1 comment:

  1. Interesting reflection! I tend to agree that the more folks on networks, the merrier. To me, I think it's nice to be able to pick up with people I haven't talked to in a while, and just intentionally communicate with those that I am most interested in at the moment.

    I really also liked your last question, "How do you disconnect in order to be better while connected?" Boundaries are really important things to me, because I have so few of them. Lately, I have started to forgive myself for not posting consistently online, and I stay away from forms of technology in a step-wise fashion in the evenings. First, I tend to stop responding to emails after dinner. Then, all social media and text conversations tend to stop around 11 pm. At 11 pm, it's fiction reading time, no matter what I have due the next day. I need to fall into someone else's perspective or story for an hour or so to be able to sleep soundly...and that means not getting sucked back into my life through some form of technology.

    ReplyDelete