Saturday, July 18, 2015

I'm Pinning!

Okay, so, as has been noted other places, I haven't liked Pinterest in the past. I just, really, honestly I felt like my google image searches were better and cleaner and loved that didn't have to log in (Really, there could be a variety of posts dedicated to just how much I love Google... so stick around for that!). I love pictures, it was tied to my Facebook account, so I was like, okay here we go.

But, as with most things with social media, I'm pretty sure the first time around, I wasn't really "doing it right." I got that there were boards and it was kind of scrap-booky, inspiration type boards, but a few times clicking on some pins only to find the recipe or the proper link or whatnot left me frustrated and disenchanted (and now, I'm fully acknowledging that I too had posted pictures with none of that information).  So, after clicking on some of the links in the resources, an joining the group back up, and actually understanding some things you can do with Pinterest, I figured I'd give it another go around for one of our projects for this class.

Ahh, when we know how to use things and what they can do, we are so much more prepared!  I read some online articles about how companies are using Pinterest and pins, and how all these people apparently make money on their blogs and an in turn how they generate more information and funds through their boards.  I found some boards, like this one, https://www.pinterest.com/iheartnaptime/best-of-pinterest/, where apparently a whole bunch of people all post and there are rules about how much you can post and putting no spam or advertisements or a variety of other things.  Talk about creating a community!

I set up analytics for my Pinterest and now (well, not yet, but I'm guessing soon), I can track what people are viewing when and where and all that fun stuff.  Which is great for the class project, but also somewhat cool regardless.

The education shares and connections are pretty cool.  It has also given me a platform to highlight things I use or want to use, while easily being able to give credit to the creator or generator of that information.  I even figured out how to create a widget and advertise my boards on this page --->.

So what about all of you?  Any social media tools out there you just can't stand?  Any that you've gotten a crash course in and now are able to use for helpful purposes? In the education setting, or as you prepare for the big project in this class, how do you or will you teach students about tools before asking them to use them?

No comments:

Post a Comment