Wednesday, July 1, 2015

First blog post for Web2.0 class, or, ever.

Thought it would be interesting to share this free and online opportunity coming out from Penn State's Center for the Study of Race and Equity in Education - http://www.eventbrite.com/e/penn-equity-institute-for-doctoral-students-tickets-17559651390.  Shaun Harper was here in February talking about this, and it is such an interesting way to think about delivering content and engaging in conversation in Higher Ed!  In a lot of ways it is just a series of webinars (but free, as I think most webinars should be), but Harper has put together a pretty fantastic group of folks and modules, and creating a different way to engage in dialogue and learning about the topic.

I registered for a few of them because of the context and the caliber of speakers and panelists - it is almost like going to a conference!  I've also never used the Blue Jeans platform, so that will be a new experience too!

It will intriguing to see how they happen and what the feedback is, especially if they end up playing a role in shaping higher education or additional learning opportunities in the future!

4 comments:

  1. Oohhh, cool. Thanks for sharing. Love his work. Jamie Washington was on a panel webinar today, but I wasn't able to make that happen. I look forward to what he says at Dalton this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I had to miss it too, but saw a bit on the backchannel, I think #HigherEdLive posts them if you have time to check it out, knowing all those folks, it was probably pretty good!
    http://www.higheredlive.com/marriage-equalitywhat-it-means-for-higher-education/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used blue jeans before (as an end user). Pretty much like any other conferencing platform, although I remember being a bit confused at first by some of the indicators (e.g., figuring out if others could see my video feed.).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, Danielle! I had no idea that they offered things like this. I was just talking to another student today about the need to attend things outside of class to fully develop as professionals. She mentioned cost being a real barrier for her. I will have to send her this link. I wonder if this type of platform could be used for methods workshops.

    ReplyDelete