Sunday, July 5, 2015


"Many meet their social, emotional, and economic needs by tapping to sparsely knit networks of diverse associates rather than relying on tight connections to a relatively small number of core associates" (Rainie & Wellman, 2014).

It is somewhat funny, though not surprising, that since this class officially began I've been acutely aware of my web 2.0 and social media participation, how that looks, and what that means.  This weekend my partner's sister was visiting for the Fourth of July, and we used that as an opportunity to make lots of food and do some fun things around town, like a mini-staycation.

But, so often a phone or tablet was near me when doing these things... I Googled for recipes for foods I've never made, or foods I've made before, picking and choosing through a variety of blogs and websites to come up with how I would make a particular dish or how I could make it just a little differently. I made a family recipe dessert, but after calling my godmother, was directed to a YouTube video that showed how to create the layers correct.  I have an Instagram account where I mostly post photos of food (my too-lazy-not-enough-time-to-create-a-food-blog instagram), where I showcased some of this weekend's meals and shared recipes when people thought something looked good.  I followed the weather through apps on my phone, and found out about thunderstorm warnings (and, thankfully for my fireworks-loving-self when they were lifted) from communicating via the Tallahassee Parks Twitter Handle.  And when in doubt over the holiday and during sporting events shared in conversations with friends and family on opposite edges of the country.

Within all of these, my loose and tight networks were always near me, often educating my thoughts or helping me share my ideas.  My "networked operating system" (Rainie & Wellman, 2014, p. 9) gave me opportunity and knowledge, constantly informing my opinion, serving as my outlet, and creating my community. It was, and is, an ever present piece of my personal - and professional - life.

While reading the Sunday paper this morning, I started thinking not only about the "awesomeness" and opportunity of these connections, but also how we must be careful as to not allow this to limit our worldview.  The newspaper, for example, makes sure I see things I might not have in the bubble of my own little world, especially a world filled with biased cable news channels, DVR to fast forward through commercials and local commentaries we may not want to hear, the ability to frame what it is I want to see, hear, and participate in.  For example, I can't remember the last time I was in my car listening to local radio - the music on my phone or my commercial free Pandora station limits the need, and perhaps also the connection, that these mediums have forced in the past.

Web 2.0 and social media, as Professor Dennen stated, provides us an "all you care to eat buffet," but what happens when we limit what we care to eat to only what those things we want to hear, think, or believe?  In a world where you choose who you follow, can defriend those who might not agree with you, and where the internet programs advertisements you see to things that you already like, how do you ensure that your social networks aren't creating a bubble?  I have a few things we've started to do, but I'm interested in others ideas or thoughts on this.  How do you utilize social media tools so that you are not only getting the information you like, but also being challenged in your thinking and ideas, being exposed to new concepts, and learning everyday (or perhaps picking up something new and unique at that buffet)?

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about this exact same issue this weekend. At some point over the holiday we were discussing how exciting news was to follow after the Supreme Court decisions, and how it played our in our own online networks. There were a couple comments that the increased incident of personal views led some to unfriend or unfollow a few people. I was reading ahead a bit in Networked today and came across some material that spoke directly to this issue (p. 136) and later how networking choices can limit the scope of information and viewpoints we take in depending on how we build our network and take in information provided through it. I think you are going to really like the next section of reading.

    ReplyDelete