Sunday, July 12, 2015

Personal Learning Networks..Systematizing our Randomness?

A few days ago, I received the following text, "I reattached the chain in my chainsaw after watching a youtube video.  #acostawayofdoingit."  I guess I've developed a reputation of figuring out home do it yourself projects through watching videos and doing some google searching to figure out what needs to happen and the best way to do it...particularly on things I've never done before, but sometimes to get a refresher, or make sure we've been doing something all along correctly. It came in handy after purchasing a home and tends to be one of our go to uses for web 2.0 these days.

I thought about this while watching Professor Dennen's videos on the PLNs.  I had never heard of a PLN, and appreciate the repetition of PLNs reflecting "personal needs, available time, preferred tools" because at this point, I'm not convinced I have the time to develop a PLN that would be as helpful to me as I may like, or have a focus of a network that would help me, but also as I go through my days and think about the things I look to Web 2.0 to assist me in, I could see it become very helpful and beneficial in the future.  There often may be times I go back to particular places online... a recipe on a blog I've used a few times, one of those videos mentioned above, or a good idea for a home project that may be in the future, but isn't totally on the radar. Having all these things in one place, basically your personalized version of web 2.0, allows for so focus, and if you include things that have good content, you may create a more closely-tied network with the individuals behind those tools as you continue communicating with them.

What I think is great about the descriptions and concepts surrounding PLNs is that it seems to combine a variety of tools to meet people where they are at.  Similarly, in thinking about PLNs with regards to nodes of information with the person in the middle, I think we see that outside of the web 2.0 world as well (the graphic representation reminded me of a birthday party where friends of different groups one is a part of all attend... you look around the table and realize, I'm the only connector here!).  One of the criticisms I often have about technology is that some people tend to talk about it like it is separate for our own selves, in this class we are really delving into how it is a tool, not a completely different world in which we operate within, but an extension in how we project and connect.  I think that helps us think about how it can be used to benefit us and with us as the driver, not necessarily just a participant, or our technology use and knowledge. I love this concept: "You work forward from your own personal needs."

The four key activities, "following, communicating, curating, sharing", for example, are pretty broad-based actions, and I'd argue things that we do in personal or work relationships and networking, among many other things.  I think a PLN would be something that could be super beneficial and lead to more connected communication and relationships over web 2.0... Are there any folks out there who use PLNs or have created ones that feel like you see some of these pieces coming into play?  Which of the four key activities are the easiest/hardest to continue?

Side note, the "Tools for PLNs" presentation, really the breakdown of all the web 2.0 pieces, should be a requirement for students entering college (or really maybe anyone before they get on the internet, LOL) - superhelpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment